If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (610) 948-2141

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Kitchen Fire Hazards

2/11/2023 (Permalink)

A kitchen fire can be dangerous and even deadly. Fire start in the kitchen. Most of these fires are small and only cause damage to the kitchen itself, but some result in injuries or deaths.

Overloaded electrical sockets.

Overloaded electrical sockets can cause fires, especially if you use too many appliances in one place. Use only the number of plugs that are required for the number of items being used and don't overload outlets with extension cords. Never use an outlet that has a loose plug or broken cord.

Fire extinguisher.

Fire extinguishers are essential to have in your kitchen. They are an easy and quick way to put out small fires, like grease fires and electrical malfunctions. Fire extinguishers should be placed in a location that is easy to access and can be used by anyone in the kitchen at any time of day or night.

Fire extinguishers should be inspected regularly and replaced when necessary, especially if they have been dropped or exposed to heat sources such as stoves or ovens (which may have melted some of the plastic parts inside).

Cooking when tired.

When you're tired, it's not just your body that suffers. Your judgment is impaired as well. This can lead to accidents such as forgetting to turn off the stove or leaving a pot on it when you leave the room for any reason. It can also cause mistakes in cooking--like adding too much salt or sugar because you weren't paying attention due to your fatigue--that might not be noticed until after dinner is served.

Cooking on the stove.

You should never leave the kitchen while there is something cooking on the stove, in a microwave, or in an oven. You also need to be careful when using slow cookers because they can become extremely hot and cause burns if you're not careful when handling them.

If you must leave your home during these periods of time where food is being cooked--and we all know how hard it can be sometimes!--then make sure that someone else is present who can watch over all of your meals until they've finished cooking.

Using Plastic.

Plastic can melt and catch fire when it is too close to a heat source, such as on top of the stove or near a toaster oven. The heat can cause the plastic to melt or even catch fire. In addition, if you use plastic wrap around hot foods and then put them in the microwave, there's an increased chance of overheating and burning yourself because you're using both methods at once.

Kitchen fires are serious. Kitchen fires can be prevented by taking simple precautions, such as keeping your kitchen clean and dry, storing flammable materials away from the stovetop and oven, keeping pot handles turned inward to prevent them from getting knocked over onto a burner or heating element. Use vent hoods when cooking with oil or grease and turning off the stove when you leave the room. Give SERVPRO of North East Chester County a call for your fire damage emergency.

Other News

View Recent Posts